Shellfish warning after Broken Bay 'algal bloom'
Brisbane Water downstream of The Rip Bridge has been affected by an "algal bloom", according to the NSW Department of Primary Industry.
"Shellfish taken from this area should not be eaten," a social media post from the department stated last week.
"Cooking does not destroy the toxins."
The department "advises people not to consume shellfish including mussels and oysters, crustaceans including lobsters, crabs and prawns and other shellfish collected or caught" in the area, due to the risk of "paralytic shellfish poisoning".
"Paralytic shellfish toxins are produced by certain toxic algae species.
"Alexandrium species that can produce paralytic shellfish toxins are continuing to bloom in the Broken Bay area.
"Paralytic shellfish poisoning is rare, but it is important that people follow this advice to avoid getting sick."
The post said algal blooms may exist elsewhere.
"Given the current adverse weather conditions caution is advised by avoiding consumption of recreationally harvested shellfish.
"Seafood in shops and restaurants is safe to eat because the NSW Food Authority monitors the safety of commercially harvested shellfish."
Social media, 21 Oct 2022
NSW DPI Fisheries